Sunday, January 23, 2005

This Year's Love Had Better Last


More than anything, people strive to appear confident.

Not to be confident. To wear it's mask.

It's really not our fault. Confidence brings about all the things in this society that we secretly yearn for.

As a result, people try so hard to appear together and happy, that they gradually slide a larger and larger pile of pain and feeling under the bed until it fights against the mattress and suddenly they are an insomniac lexapro taking freak.

I think that for the most part, I seem fairly outwardly confident.

But even when relaxing with my friends, I frequently get burned by their glares and outrage at my personality.

The long legs in short skirts and high heels prancing around my school day after day slash my facade behind my knee length clothes.

Many nights, especially tonight, I have to sit back and wonder.

I am a strong crazy person. How can these superficial absurdities affect me so deeply?

Even your favorite song can drive you into madness if it is all you hear.

None of this ever seems to let up. This really is the first time in my life that I have someone with whom I can cry around.

This really is my first relationship. Lovely was bullshit. He wasn't real. I have truly never met someone who is so caring, so wonderful, so near perfect.

It is this mountain for me to stand on that sits right in front of the valley that I have dug myself into. I have a very long way to climb before I can appreciate all of it.

A lot of times, I have trouble believing that he likes me. But that is my pessimism trying to substitute for self esteem.

"With you, the more I see these issues that you have, the more I think that you are perfect"

Where did this mad scientist come from?

I am thinking hard about what words have been released into the atmosphere tonight, and he is so incredibly right.

So for the record, I am not all together. I don't know if anyone really is. But there is no sense in comparing one life to another. I have lost a lot of confidence, but that is because I have let others grab it from me like a handful of cotton candy.

once again, I am going to try to love my rollercoaster body. I am going to stray away from the people who make me feel like shit. I am going to acknowledge that the mad scientist really does like me almost as much as I like him. Because I know that he is the greatest thing that I have had pass me by in a while.

And this time around, I am not going to let it go.

Because in the end, I really do think that self esteem is being happy around others, and coming home and not being completely together, but being happy just the same.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace,
I love you.

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful entry grace. im so happy for you.

lene

10:09 AM  
Blogger deahsella said...

That is so beautiful Grace! I'm happy for you, too.
Isn't it crazy how love comes and goes like this? In cycles, it seems, for me...you just finished taking about 'first loves' and now the cycle's come 'round again. I hope it lasts for you, too...there's no hurry!

And don't let anyone take your confidence from you. If they're trying to take it, it only means they just don't have it themselves. There's no need to be perfect to be happy. Imperfections are even more beautiful.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Dear Grace,

you're an amazing writer who makes me feel ashamed for ever writing anything. i feel the exact same way with my new boyfriend. our lives seem parallel, but i know they aren't. my new boyfriend would do anything to make me happy, but he doesn't even have to try. i'm afraid one day he is going to wake up and realize that he deserves better and walk away. life is a crazy bitch.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grace,

Your blogs do really astound (Spelling?) me and its weird how I was meant to be going for my shower but instead, Im sat on this chair, in a trance to the endless blogs.

I just wanted to say that, its very cool how your life is working out, and theres really no pressure. Im not even allowed to see my first boyfriend. Now, I think hes perfect in everyway. Especially when he makes mistakes.

Im also sorry to hear about people taking away your confidence. I know how it feels.
I hate it when some people are completely loud and out of their heads while others look up to them and try to be like them. Thats all bull if you ask me. All the confident people (Sorry about putting stereotypical groups here...) But most of them, they think that if your queit, your queit, you get me? I think everyone judges but not like those bitches in my class.

Anywho, Im real happy that SOMEONES relationship is working out and I think I can clarify this, but I think Nathan... The one that makes me oh so happy is my drug.
I cant stand being without him and being with him, makes me feel so loved and light. Nothing is ever wrong with him.

Shame I have parents though, that dont understand.

Take care...

Jeanie

XxX

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home