Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hey smilin' strange


I have always been an affectionate person. I love to hug, and kiss, and cuddle.

Just never my mother.

We are close, but for some reason, my entire life, I have never been fully comfortable with physical contact.

I wonder if she notices it. It never really bothered me until the last 6 months or so. Now that the idea of leaving home for good has a time limit, I find myself wishing she could braid my hair, or sit with me on the couch. Or maybe hug me goodnight.

But I just can't find myself to ask.

And sitting here, I feel kind of lonely. And I know that I will try to cover it up by hugging the mad scientist, which I love doing. But this is definitely a new kind of sadness that can only be ended by one her.

Perhaps people who grew up calling their parents mommy and daddy feel more of an affection? Mother and father always seemed like such cold terms, and mom and dad were in the middle. Does the name we know our parents by unconsciously define the type of relationship that we have with them?

It just might. Looking through pictures, I can't find a single one with my mom's arm around my shoulder, or either her or dad hugging me.

Is everyone like this?

She is definitely the most important person in my life. I just could never tell her that. When she says I love you on the phone, I kind of gawk until I hear the dial tone. Then I tell her that I love her too.

I hope that still counts.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember we ordered pizza one night and I gave a blowjob to a strawberry and your mom told you that you had a foam enhanced bra. Yeah, moms are, well, moms.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad she got married on a mountain.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hello- I linked into your blog from another, and it was so good that I kept reading, and then I saw how young you are, and... WOW! Young lady, you can write!

I'm an old lady of 40. My mom is my best friend- not that it's always been that way. But I know what you mean about that awkwardess. "I love you" comes out more in how we treat each other than in those particular 3 words, and we hug hello and goodbye, but I don't remember hair-braiding since I was very little. :)

Keep writing...

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow my home for written thoughts has turned into a public service announcement for advertisements..beware real estate whores..beware.

amazing

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home