Sunday, January 02, 2005

A liberal Halloween


As a Liberal in my town, I have the wonderful privilege of being the minority. The scarce minority. At my school, the Republican Club hosts oyster roasts with delegates down by the river at vacation homes, while the 10 random oddballs of the Democrats club try to have meetings even though the people on the PA always seem to forget us.

But there's an even bigger difference between the people for Kerry even if they don't like him, and the people for Bush at my school. The people for Kerry actually know why they would rather have him for our president. Last week at school, I asked as many people as I could who like Bush to tell me why he would make a better president. here, let me show you the major consensus:
"Uh"
"Well, my parents like him, so uh.."
"Uh, Because Kerry is dumb."
"Uh, he did well with 911"
"Uh, because we caught the terrorists in Iraq"
"Oh my God you don't like Bush? We're going to ostracize you."

And these are just the kids. Imagine the people who are actually voting. They probably have no idea why they are picking a specific candidate. My mom had no idea what was going on until my stepdad and I showed her. Maybe it's just their old age, maybe it's their unconscious aversion to liberal scandalous thinking. Maybe they just don't want to see anything wrong with any of it. But most of the voters that really research what is going on, and want to change are the young people. And only the minority of them.

So that means that these people will grow up and the same stone of slow reform will keep gathering moss until it one day hits rock bottom. But even if I can't make a big change, I can still cause the rest of the people around me to stop and find something different from what they want for a minute. I am in good spirit tonight, because I carved VOTE NADER into my pumpkin. Now I am counting the days until I find it smashed on the conservative road of a conservative town. And the person who smashes it probably will have no idea which party is for what. Even if I can't make a big change, I can still cause the rest of the people around me to stop and find something different from what they want for a minute. Oh, ignorance. How strong you are.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, did anyone ever did smash it? I was for Bush, and you were for Kerry. That was a first for us. I love how we both didn't care that we were opposite. And I love how we love each other that much. And I love our love. I love you.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home